[Harp-L] re: modes and minor keys

Here's a couple of easy scales and modes to play with.

If you play 1st position on a C harp, then you can figure out A minor (4th
position), most of the notes will work, you just start at a different place. So
1st and 4th major and relative minor.

Still on a C harp. You can plays blues in 2nd position (G) A G major pentatonic
and G Mixolodyan are right near by. The major pentatonic scale would include

1D 2B 2D 3B 3Dbb 3D 4D 5B 6B 6D 7D 8B 8D 9 B
D  E  G  G  A    B  D  E  G  A   B  E D  G

Rock uses that scale

Add 2Dbb and 5D and you have Mixoldyan. A major scale with a cool bluesy flatted
7th. The Allman Brothers and the Dead use this all the time.

Mixolodyan G is the same notes pretty much as E Dorian. You start in a different
place. Add the 2Db

Listen to Mel Lyman doing Dark as a Dungeon on Jim Kweskin's American album or
Sonny Terry on Woody Guthrie's excellent album with Leadbelly and Cisco
Houston.

So 1st, 4th minor, 2nd Mixolodyan, 2nd Pentatonic, and 5th Dorian aren't that
difficult or scary.

Third position isn't all that hard. Notes in D Dorian include

1B 1D 2B 2D 3B 3Dbb 3Db 4B 4D 5B 5D 6B 6D 7B 7D 8B 8D 9B  9D 10B 10D

C  D  E  G  G  A    B   C  D  E  F  G  A  C  B  E  D  G   F  C   B

Listen to Junior Wells and spend a lot of time from the 4 hole on up and 3rd
position is easy.The 3D bends take a little while to work on.

A min, C maj, G major Pentatonic, G mixolodyan, and D Dorian all have the same
notes. You start on different places and emphasize different notes so A minor
and C are easier to play with mostly blow holes, and G mixolodyan, G
pentatonic, and D minor works better on the draw holes. E Dorian has an F#
which is a little difficult a 2Db--I always want to bend all the way down to
the F. A lot of times the melody doesn't call for the F# so don't worry.

I find I can spend a lot of time during practice just fooling around with these
scales.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm