Re: [Harp-L] Modes/minor questions

Relative minor starts on the sixth degree of the major scale. In the high school chorus the teacher decided he was going to teach us some theory. It never got beyond practicing singing the natural, harmonic, and melodic minor scales and reciting "Whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step." to learn the intervals of the major scale.

Most of the small amount of theory I know came from playing my mother's autoharp and guessing what things like dim 7 on the guitar chords on sheet music meant. In college I took a theory for dummies (non majors) class and learned the names of the things I'd learned on the autoharp.

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

Eric Chard wrote:
I really appreciate the discussions of theory, although I may be thinking too much rather than just practicing. Be that as it may: