RE: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] re: was Adler now hands

....well, I'm about as much of an amateur as one can get, Robert, usually
playing alone with no accompaniment or to CD's or the Radio and I too have
found myself many times taking one hand off the instrument and unconsciously
directing the music. It's usually when I'm quite caught up in the emotions of
the song. I would never have admitted this 'cept for your post. Now I don't
feel quite so much of an oddity :)
Thanks!
Elizabeth

I'm glad this isn't just me. If I'm playing fast Irish or Scottish tunes on my double-sided Echo tremolo (something that happens only a few times in a long session but which I wouldn't do without), my left hand flaps around on top of the big harp quite pointlessly and involuntarily. I'm sort of (only sort of) beating out the rhythm of the tune. I've occasionally been asked by non-harmonica players if I'm doing something essential to getting the right notes - I think they look at those drilled holes in the covers and wonder if I'm playing them like an ocarina or something. I have no idea why I do it - it seems to help with keeping me in the rhythm of the tune. Weird.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm