From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Mojo Red
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:55 PM
To: Tom Ball; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Larry Adler movie - was it "faked"?

Hey Tom,

Thanks so much for the two very cool links! That Three Stooges bit is like
my all time favorite!
Swing it!! Larry, I read somewhere, really did play the fiddle, and Curly
really was an expert "spoons"
player, but his standup bass left something to be desired. LOL!!

As for the Adler clip... God, his playing is just gorgeous. But I couldn't
help but notice some little discrepencies between what I was ~seeing~ and
what I was ~hearing~...

For example, toward the beginning he briefly takes his mouth off the harp to
quickly licks his lips, but in the same instant I'm hearing a nice sustained
note. Then, later Mr. Adler had got his hands wide open, but I'm hearing
this nice hand vibrato.

Was that movie "faked?" I mean, it was obviously Adler's playing, but do you
think he went in later to put the movie over an existing recording? Sort of
"dubbing over" the recording to make a movie?

If this is the case, then all that exaggerated hand movement was mostly
hooey... you know just to make it more interesting to look at.

What do you think?

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

--- Tom Ball <havaball@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, since everybody seemed to like the Adler movie, here's a link to
> another film.  Moe swallows a Little Lady!

http://www.archive.org/stream/disorder_in_the_court/disorder_in_the_court_25
6kb.mp4