[Harp-L] Re:Forces on the slide

> >From Harp-on:
>>When you go to play your chromatic you may find the slide is stuck...
>>There are a few things you can do to free up the slide action: *Give a
>>gentle but firm push on the button, but don't force it.
>
> Okay, how do I know if I used too much forces, and what may happen if I
> did?

Here´s a "translation" of Harp-on´s advice to push the button gentle but firm
without forcing it:

When the slide sticks avoid to push the knob by hand because one has no
control over the arm power. In most cases it happens that the slide suddenly
is freed and the sharp edges of the screw holes may harm the little plastic
tubes of the screws which serve as bumpers when moving the slide.

A better method is to hold the chrom vertically between two fingers, with the

slide knob downwards, and then let the chrom fall down with the button on
the table. The effect is that the weight of the instrument frees the slide by
using the
fingers as a brake to prevent the touching of the plastic tubes.

Well, once we are talking about sticking slides, here´s another tip how to
avoid a sticking slide at all.

Nothing can prevent the sticking even when using trombone oil, glycerine
or similar gliding aids. It´s only a question of time and the chemical
compounds
in the saliva act again as a glue after the slide is dried up. One measure
against
a beginning sticking is to move the slide several times in distances some
time
after playing.

BTW, this is again a reason why I prefer the CX 12. It´s slide never sticks,
I don´t
know why.

Keep on gliding

Siegfried