[Harp-L] [Fwd: RE: Larry Adler post]

Subject: RE: Larry Adler post
From:    "Orrin Nordstrom" <obnordstrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:    Sun, February 19, 2006 10:57 am

For all of you Adler fans.
Larry Adler was asked to score the movie Genevieve in 1953.  In his book
Me AND MY BIG MOUTH Larry wrote in part about being asked to compose the
music in opposition to his agent's request he not do it.

"Forget it, Larry. This is a small time outfit. Let it go, and we'll find
another picture for you later in the year."
He was right, of course. But one thing was nagging me. "Nobody has ever
ask me to compose before." I thought of something else. "Besides, I love
the film and I want to do it."
They offered me a percentage: 2 1/2 percent of the producer's share. It
doesn't sound like much, and it wasn't. But as the film took off I became
richer than the actors, who each got a flat fee of 1500 pounds -- yes,
that's all -- with no participation in the proceeds.

This movie will be aired by Turner Classic film February 24th at 11:30 AM.
Goggle GENEVIEVE and you can see all about the movie and Adler's comments.
Orrin Nordstrom