Re: [Harp-L] recording your own practices

"Nick Kirkes" <nick.kirkes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been wanting to start recording my own practices (and lessons that I
> take) but I haven't been able to decide on the type of device to use.  I
> tried using a standard tape recorder, but the recording quality was so bad
> that I took it back.

if you want quality, pay a *lot* of attention to the mic you buy.  any device
you buy these days will accurately record the signal the mic feeds it.

> I've been thinking about Mini-disc recorders, but have
> seen mixed reviews.

i love my minidisc.  the device itself is great.  however, it's a major pain
that it's a proprietary interface, and you must use sony's software to
transfer your files to computer.  this is a particular nuisance for me,
as it won't work with linux or mac, and thus forces me to actually touch
a windows machine when i record something.

you should be able to connect your recorder to your computer with a usb
cable, and have it look like just another drive on the computer.  i don't know
which devices do this.  but i'd consider that a requirement.

when i bought, minidisc still had a significant price advantage over
hard drive or compact flash devices.  but this is fading fast, and will continue
to do so.  get as much storage as you possibly can.  you may think you just
want it for practices, but if you have it, you'll want to record shows or jams or
whatever else comes up, and you don't want to preclude uses you haven't yet
thought of.

> I know it's not directly harp related, but I've heard nothing but good about
> the habit of recording yourself when you practice and I'd like to start
> doing that.

it is *really* helpful.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Can't you hear my lambs a callin'?
Oh good shepherd won't you feed my sheep?