Re: [Harp-L] recording your own practices

Nick -

  I have an HP iPAQ 2215 pocket PC that I use for that purpose (and others).  It has one-touch recording and I can transfer the files as Wave Files to my home computer.  No, you can't control the mix, you can't isolate tracks and you can't do anything else you'd be able to do on a recording device that is designed for the specific function.  I don't know what the recording time limit is, I've never actually pushed mine beyond an hour because that is what I use it for - just short recordings.

  For just recording yourself to listen to or to answer the "how did the piano player do that at the practice?" type questions after life intervenes in your musician life (or you're just old and you forget, it is great).  You can also keep music, contacts, word files, and anything that is Microsoft in there.  It's 400 megs with 65 megs of RAM and the real beauty of it is that it fits in your front jeans pocket.

  Works for me.  The only drawback might be total recording time.  It has a 9-hour capacity, but that is only under normal use.  The recording function does tend to use up the power supply at a faster rate, though I've never run it out the way I use it.  However, it also runs on a rechargeable NICAD battery, so you can always bring an extra.

  You can probably get one for about $400 bucks these days and I think the product has been upgraded in the last year, so the one you get may not have a problem with juice.

Nick Kirkes <nick.kirkes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  H-L,

I've been wanting to start recording my own practices (and lessons that I
take) but I haven't been able to decide on the type of device to use. I
tried using a standard tape recorder, but the recording quality was so bad
that I took it back. I've been thinking about Mini-disc recorders, but have
seen mixed reviews. If I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather it be
something that is well received by people using it for the same purposes as
me. I have an iPod for all my music, so a minidisk would only be useful for
recording practices, lessons and live shows.

Anyone doing this and if so, what are you using? Pros/Cons?

I know it's not directly harp related, but I've heard nothing but good about
the habit of recording yourself when you practice and I'd like to start
doing that.

Thanks,

Nick