Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Chromatix SCX-48 Chromatic Harmonica

Hey Nate,

I can't tell you directly about the SCX-48, but I managed to get a hold of Franz Chmel's ratings of the SCX-64. Franz Chmel has/had a website at www.chmel-classic.de which is almost always down. However, a friend of mine got it to work once and printed out his comparisons.

In the comparisons, Chmel tested the Suzuki SCX-64, Suzuki SC-64, Hering 5164, Hering 6164, Seydel Chromatic Deluxe, Hohner Super 64X and Hohner Super 64. He rated them in this fashion:

Hohner Super 64--------------- 86.3%
Suzuki SC-64------------------ 85.9%
Hering 5164-------------------- 84.1%
Seydel Chromatic Deluxe------- 81.3%
Hering 6164 Deluxe------------ 80.3%
Hohner Super 64X------------- 70.3%
Suzuki Chromatix SCX-64----- 63.8%

All of this out of a possible 100%

I was not surprised to see that the Suzuki Chromatix received the lowest grade. While I have never tried one, I have heard from several sources that the Chromatix series is more for students and beginners where as the SC series, which Chmel gives the second-highest grade, is meant for more serious players. I have heard quite good things about the Suzuki reeds and I also own a custom built instrument with Suzuki reeds on it with which I am very satisfied. That's about all I know.

As for blues applications, it depends on what you are looking for. For 3rd position blues the G tuned will give you A and Bb. Good keys to have.

Michael
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nate in the Blues Room" <thebluesroom@xxxxxxxxx>