[Harp-L] Breath Control is worth learning and aids harp playing

First off, I have to side with Iceman on the issue of thread morphing.  The original post about using the harp as breathing therapy was nice enough, but what's wrong if that sparks other conversation ideas?  Lately, I've felt some strong negative energy (to put it as nice as possible) from Harp-L'ers fiercely guarding their threads.  I say, lighten up folks.
  Just to be P/C, I've changed the subject of my post

  Breath control is absolutely a harp topic, and an important one at that.  Just yesterday, I was trying to coach a fellow harp player to breathe through, not suck on his notes.

  I've been in voice lessons for a little over 3 years now.  My teacher, Ms. Pricilla Gale has a very strong history in professional Opera.  She's also taught for a  long time, and has a very rigorous approach to developing the proper "stomach" type breathing Iceman alluded to.

  The two fundamental exercises that begin every lesson are "long counts" and another who's name varies from person to person.  For the long counts, you expel all of your air, and the counting begins.  Your chest does not move, and your lower abdomen expands (it's crazy how much) while the teacher counts.  You try to draw a thin stream of air down, always down.  Counting pace is about1.5 sec. per number.  So you inhale until you hit "your number" (I'm on 31 right now).

  Once you hit the number, you begin the exhale.  The goal is to reach 3 counts higher than the inhale.  So, I move on when I breathe OUT for 35.  Then my number will be 32.

  For the second exercise, you must expel all of your air first, then you breathe in for a ten count.  You then hold for a ten count, exhale for a ten count, then hold EMPTY for a ten count.  You must repeat this full cycle three times in a row if possible.

  I timed myself one day, and I can pretty easily inhale for 75 or more actual "clock" seconds.  It's pretty cool.
  It's something I think would be hard to learn on your own, so I encourage any of you with the means to seek out good opera-like voice lessons. (no I don't have to sing opera.  it's a means for POWER singing the blues)

  Harp Content.

  1. It is my belief that singing gives one a huge harp advantage.  As the singer,  you are calling the shots so you can lead a tune and decide who gets to solo when. (in blues band setting).  No more waiting for the guitar guys to give you some. You can also get your own gigs and have more chances to play.  Not everyone wants to split money and hire a harp player.

  2. Breathing DOWN has an awesome effect on your notes, both sung and through harp.  The action is happening in your abdomen, so there's nothing but a wide collum of air in your head and throat.

  3. Voice training/strengthening of the diaphragm allows for killer bent vibrato.

  Sorry for the long post.  It's just a subject whose relevance to harp and blues I feel passionately about.

  Thanks,
  Dan Gage
  www.edbluepills.com