[Harp-L] Al Eichler of AHN

On Saturday I received a phone call from Dolores Eichler telling of the passing of Al on Tuesday, December 27, 2005. The funeral was held on Friday, December 30.

Al, Editor-Publisher of American Harmonica Newsmagazine, of Battle Creek, Michigan, began publishing the only totally harmonica periodical of the time as a monthly, as the American Harmonica Newsletter. This continued until 1998, when it was renamed the American Harmonica Newsmagazine. As of January 1, 2003, it became a bi-monthly publication, which allowed a larger issue with more stories, biographies, recording reviews, etc. This was a labor of love for nearly 19 years.

A number of years ago - I've lost track - Al was joined by Phil Lloyd, of Troy, Michigan, as Contributing Editor. An employee of the famed Detroit News, Phil brought with him a huge background of newspaper skills to assist Al.

In my conversation with Dolores, she revealed that she has been working for the past many months to refund unused subscription fees, and to also respond to product and back issue orders and filling them as quickly as possible. She states that she does have many back issues available for sale, as well as copies of Al's book, "The Big X on Harp", and Wendell 'Harp Dog' Burnett's book, "Chromatic Harmonica Mysteries", and in addition she is also offering Al's considerable collection of harmonicas for sale - some new, some collectable, etc. Anyone wishing to contact her to send sympathy cards, or with regard to sale items, may contact her by mail at:

Dolores Eichler
104 Highland Ave
Battle Creek, MI 49015-3272

or by phone at: 269-962-2989.

And as noted in the September/October 2005 issue, the AHN publication is also for sale. Interested persons should contact her in this regard by mail only.

Rest in peace, Al. You will be missed more than you ever thought possible.

Good-bye, Friend,
Danny

--
BassHarp