RE: [Harp-L] Bass Harmonicas

Colin asks:
I have been considering building my own bass harmonica for a while. What are peoples opinions about single vs. double reed? I would love it if people have sound files with each type playing. Maybe one song with a single and one dong with a double that you could send me. Or if you own could you record yourself playing it a bit on them and send it to me that would be great also. Thanks a lot everyone!

Hi Colin,

My preference is for the double-reed instrument -- fuller sound. But then I'm a rookie at the bass, and I feel foolish to even approach this subject when the true master of the art dwells right here in the L. For a short primer on the bass (with a discussion of all the various double-reed octave and single-reed choices,) check out "Bass Harp 101," an extremely well thought out treatise on the subject by the Lord Of The Low Frequencies Himself, our own Mr. Danny Wilson. It's at: http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/orchestral/bass.shtml And Danny's own website is at: http://www.bassharp.com/

Danny is one of the finest practitoners of the art alive today, not to mention one of the friendliest and most giving cats I know. Also there are many discussions about these topics (much of it from Danny) in the Harp-L archives... well worth a visit.

cheers, beers and Happy New Years,

Tom Ball <--- short harp by profession, but fledgling bass tyro
http://www.tomballkennysultan.com