RE: [Harp-L] Bass harmonica

Michael Peloquin writes:
>I would love to have a true BARITONE harmonica, with a slide, starting
two >octaves below middle C. This would be great for playing sax &
string >quartet music.

I've dreamed of such a beast for years and years--at least ten years.
Sadly, it is far easier said then done.  I know that Brendan Power,
amongst others, has actually made some in this range, but I can't say
how successful they were.  I think to really make one that was ideal
you'd need to start from scratch, with reeds and reed-plates scaled
specifically for this range and probably a wider spacing than on typical
chromatics.  I'd dearly love a four-octave beast like this.  I'd settle
for one that went down to G an octave and a half below middle C,
actually (sort of a sub-Meisterklasse).

That reminds me, a 14-hole standard design chromatic which began on the
C below middle C (ie, hole 1 of a 64) would be wonderful.  I don't know
about others, but I much prefer a complete lower octave and a short
top-octave to the reverse.  14-hole chroms are such a nice size, IMO,
but the standard Meisterklasse-style tuning does nothing for me.

>JR, you can make one for me when you have a spare minute.

Sure.  Sometime in the next millennium I'll be getting to it.  :)

 oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()()   & Snuffy, too:)
`--'