RE: [Harp-L] Baritone harmonica

Hello,

Message: 15
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:54:54 -0600
From: "Eric Neumann" <eneumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Baritone harmonica
To: <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Just wondering, if anyone has looked into soldering and tuning an
existing 270, or CX? You could weight the reeds to tune them down - I
know this only because of a low low F harp I have... and the low A...
and the back ordered low G... the reeds have been weighted with solder
to get the notes pretty darn low.

So I bet an exisiting chromatic could be modified to meet this need.

Would I do it? If anyone wants to pay a few months salary while I go off
and figure it out... sure thing. I reckon a CX would be a decent model
to staart with.
Would it work? Probably not. haha

But, I think the concept of soldering, weighing the reeds, and adding
the appropriate valve types, would be fine. Heck I bet half valving
wouldn't be so bad either.

flame on

BTW, I call my low low F a "diatonic tuba".

The problem is not that harmonica manufacturers may possibly sleep.
Players demands do not occur when somebody may discover the limits of what she/he is learning or has learned to master on her/his instrument in January 2006.
Remember, the first Chromatics where made in the 20ties of the last century and since then some of the advanced players worldwide have been discovering what you discuss here, however even about 70 years earlier.
(Well, they didn't discuss it like we do, but the players always occured in the factories with their demands anyways)
I bet that ultra-low Chromatics have been tried to make in the factories lately in the 50ties.
However, the problem are not the reeds actually. It are the windsafers.
A low note is caused by a slow swinging reed (as Winslow pointed out.) You can slow down the frequency either by weighting a reed at the tip or bei making the slot and the reed longer. Both solutions end up with a bigger up and downstroke of the tip of the reed.
If you now have a construction that needs to be valved the reed will touch the windsafer sometime.
(Cup valves have been proofed to be no soltion, because they are to slow, inert(?) while closing back and also hard to make to be flat at the sealing surface. Nobody uses them anymore as far as I am informed)

That's the main reason, why a Chromatic lower than C0 is not a problem to make, however to sell.
Always be aware, that a manufacturer has to guaranty the features of an item, even to the hardest dummie you can imagine. What would you think about a manufacturer that tells you, that you have to deal with touching reeds when buying an expensive custom Chromatic?

Naturally, manufacturers do not publish what they decided NOT to make, and then justifying in case someone could have a demand. Whole Harp-L would be full of it.
Most of the time it is not tiredness, it is, that the problems that come up with a demand or improvement idea can not be solved within a reasonable economic enviroment. Always keep in mind, that YOU, the customer, has to pay for anything we do. And WE are responsible, that we do not have to charge you for developments that are not paying back within a reasonable framework.
However, for us at Seydel it's very thrilling to discover the limits of this economical compromise that always has to be made, in the dialogue with you out there and we really try to stave off the economical compromise point into new, undiscovered features, like we did with the ultralow Diatonics. They are close to the limit, actually.
(Sorry for my bad English, hopefully it is understandable what I wanted to point out).

Yours
Michael from Seydel
www.seydel1847.com