RE: [Harp-L] harp roles in jam situations

Nick writes (states/forwards a question):
"1) harmonica is not a rhythm instrument (at least at a jam)"

Eric N writes:
It's subjective. I think, alone the harmonica is very capable of
providing rhythm. In fact, timing is everything, isn't it...
(rhetorical). Rhythm is timing I believe.

Maybe, the harmonica can be MANY things in a band, and as well on it's
own - alone. It can be lead. It can be rhythm. It can do both at the
same time, right? Would a guitar ever do a convincing train? Not without
rhythm. I have been asked to COMP on some songs to enhance it - this
suggestion by other musicians, not skilled at harp.. uh, like me..
haha.. but wait - I have alsways felt that the harmonica can be ANYTHING
it wants to be.

At a jam, I would like to meet the challenge of "being a rhythm
instrument" as point of personal challenge. I am pretty sure, I could do
okay... and still not be bored. Boring perhaps... who knows.