Re: [Harp-L] harp roles in jam situations

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nick Kirkes"
<nick.kirkes@xxxx> wrote:

> Harp-L,
>
> I have a theory/etiquette question I'm hoping will
spark some discussion.
>, there was one comment made by the author
> of the post that I'm having trouble absorbing.  I'm
hoping you all can help

http://www.coblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165:
> "1) harmonica is not a rhythm instrument (at least
at a jam

> I discussed this with some friends last night, but
we all came to different
> conclusions.

i'm not an expert on jams or even music, but since you
mentioned you wanted to spark discussion...
jams come in different flavors, right? but
essentially, what you have is a group of people who've
possibly never met before doing a song. given that
situation, people have roles. the "rhythm section" -
the guys who essentially play through the whole tune
on every tune and are the back-bone of the music - as
usually defined for most jazz/blues/rock bands is the
drummer, the bass player, and the a guitarist. if
there's two guitarist, one is usually considered
"rhythm guitar" and another sticks more to fills and
solos. if you have a piano that can be a great
addition to the rhythm section, but doesn't need to
be. the point of the section is to have the actual
beat (supplied by the drums and the bass) and the
underlying chords (supplied in part by the bass as
well, but also by the guitar and or piano). the
harmonica isn't really suited to be a chordal
instrument and is usually pitched much higher than the
bass or the low end of the piano, so it's not going to
fit into the "rhythm section" in what you might call a
traditional sense. it's more like a horn or a second
guiatar - you can play fills and solos. of course, you
can also adopt a "horn section" attitude, but this
isn't the same as being part of the "rhythm section,"
it's more like the fills, maybe outlining the changes
a bit, etc.
so, if you're in a jam, instead of trying to chug in
the background like you're a guitar player chunking
chords, i think this guy's advice is to stick to
fills, some horn lines maybe, and your solos. unless
you have coordinated parts worked out, it can be
awfully messy to have 4 or 5 guys playing constantly
through a tune. there's not enough space.

so, just throwing that out there to maybe keep the
discussion sparked ;)

   --Jp