[Harp-L] Bushman Torpedo mic

When I saw the announcement that Bushman was discontinuing the Torpedo mics and offering them for $59 instead of the usual $149 I quickly ordered one. Its a fine looking mic and I liked the idea of the mic stand holder that came with it. I had heard the torpedo played pretty clean, and since I play a lot of acoustic harp through a vocal mic, I figured I would try to use the mic stand holder and use it in place of my vocal mic.

  I REALLY hate to say anything bad about anyones mic since I am myself a mic builder, but I am very dissapointed in this mic. The only reason I'm bringing this up on Harp-L is to see if others have had the same experience. Maybe I just got a defective mic? Has anyone else had issues with their Torpedo mic?

  I played the mic and the tone is fine but the output was very weak. When played through either an amp or PA I had to turn the volume up very high to get much volume. I am the builder of the Bottle 'O Blues mic which is also a dynamic mic like the Torpedo. I put the Torpedo on my test setup which basically just allows me to play a reference note into a high impedance input into an oscilloscope and view the output voltage from the mic. The Torpedo output was ten times lower than ny Bottle 'O Blues. And even more than ten times lower than a vintage Shure CM element.

  Are there any Torpedo users out there that have other mics to compare it against. Does your Torpedo have a low output like mine? If mine is just defective I'll return it and get my money back.

  Thanks,
  Jim McBride

Yahoo! Photos