RE: [Harp-L] Larry's Student - RJ

Larry writes:
Because I am an unconventional teacher and not a "blues man", I lead RJ down the path of playing MUSIC on the harmonica, with blues being a subcatagory. As a result, he was asked to join his HS Jazz Band and is a featured soloist at some of the school concerts on harmonica. This is a real breakthrough in the educational system and didn't come easily.

RJ had to literally stand up for his right to be heard, was treated poorly and almost not allowed to audition once the word "harmonica" was mentioned. To his credit, he pushed the issue until he was allowed to play for a music teacher after school in the music office area. By chance, there was a small crowd of students/parents/teachers in the area. After he played "The Star Spangled Banner", he got a standing ovation from the people within earshot. Of course, the music teacher could no longer "diss" the harmonica and allowed RJ to perform this piece at a HS show. From that point on, attitudes began to change towards harmonica at that school.,

Larry,
these are great accomplishments all and I think that by teaching MUSIC on the harp rather than a style, you are really a CONVENTIONAL teacher. Great job.
What I don't get is:.
it seems as if you are implying that RJ had to work his way into the jazz band on harmoniuca. It looks like he was IN the jazz band and had to convince them to LET him play harp solos:

From the Orlando Sentinel article:
...At Lake Brantley, he is in three bands. He plays the baritone in the symphonic band and the trumpet in the marching and jazz bands. Plus, he is featured on the harmonica in the jazz band.

this also takes some doing as I am familiar with the same situation in Big Bands (and other bands too)

Let's not spin our harp stories like fox/elephant news.

Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com