Re: [Harp-L] Embouchre and Lip Fatigue

Sounds like you reached the limits of your endurance for that given day.

If the body is fighting off the flu, that could weaken the whole system.
If the flu can make larger muscles like the back, legs, etc, feel weaker,
why not the small muscles of the lips?

Here's my theory.  I practice for endurance at times.  Practicing for
endurance means practicing with the face to the harmonica for as long as
possible with only one overriding rule.  I stop immediately if I feel pain,
or the lips start shaking, even the slightest bit, or if my playing starts
to get sloppy because of fatigue.  Then, time away from the harmonica before
starting again.  If done every day this can build endurance relatively
quickly.

Along with this, I try to drink plenty of water.  Keeping hydrated helps
flush out the toxins created from working the muscles.  This keeps the
muscles fresher, less swollen and feeling less fatigued.  Enemies are
caffeine, alcohol, junk food (grease and salt and sugar seem to make my lips
swell I think because they trap water and work against the "flushing - out"
idea.)  Not that I never have coffee, a drink, or a hamburger and fries, I
just have to be extra vigilant to stay hydrated.

Also, getting plenty of sleep is important too, as hard as it is to find the
time sometimes, if there's a day job, daily practice and gigs.

But for me, the cycle can become exponential - I have a big gig coming up.
so I practice extra, stay up late doing arrangements, etc.  I get less
sleep, so I drink more caffeine and eat some sugar towards the end of the
day at my 9-5 job to try and keep me awake.  I get really dehydrated and
maybe start getting sick from too little sleep - ugh.  All the factors at
once!  Then I wonder why I didn't do as well on the gig as I know I could
have!

This stuff is really personal to body type, I think.  Some people probably
never have to think about this at all.  I find that I do.

Good luck!