Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman

On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Metts wrote:

I've heard Phish's cover many times, but today I heard the original Stevie Wonder version for the first time, and I was paying close attention to the harp solo. With so much bending at high speed, it sounds more like what I'd expect from a diatonic harp, even though I know Stevie is famous for his chromatic playing. Does anyone know the details of what harp he is playing on this song? If that's a chromatic...well, I'll have to see that instrument in a whole new light.

Jonathan

It's a C chromatic played in A. As I have said many many times, playing a chromo in a key which is NOT it's 'home' key, can net some very interesting results. This is just on of them. Btw, the bending is due to the key being a DRAW key. I will be doing this tune tonight.
smokey joe