Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman

On Jan 12, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

It's definately NOT a chromatic. I don't rememeber what harp he used (though key of C in 1st comes to mind)

Gee. I hate to rain on anyone's parade and I know that diatonic players (myself included) would love to embrace Stevie as one of their own but the tune is definitely chromatic. Oh, did I mention I forgot to flat the A, it's Ab.

Take chromo and start by drawing on hole 8 (B). Chip only a tiny portion of draw 8 and immediately slide in to draw 8 (B#). Do this twice. Then go to draw 7, chip a tiny portion of draw 7(A) and immediately slide into draw 7(A#). Do that once. Then settle up on blow 7 (G), chip only a tiny portion and slide into blow 7 (G#).

From there on, everyone will get the picture. There have been times in the past where Stevie was mentioned as playing a diatonic. I let these slide. While he is certainly capable of doing so, Stevie performs with a chromatic. While all head shots are taken with him holding a 64, he plays 48s and it is this which allows him to play games with the keys.

Example: I played Alfie at Buckeye. Aside from the fact that I had the Carol-Beth True combo (4) and Stevie used the Paramount Orchestra (40?), you would not have been able to distinguish the difference, (albeit you would have to close your eyes....I don't wear sunglasses :). The tune was in Bb. I used an F chromo played IN F. That was the only way to get the 'authentic' sound.

For a diatonic version of this tune, check Fred Yonnett

smokey-joe (Lord of the reeds)