From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:00:11 -0000

Hate to rain on YOUR parade, smokey, but Boogie on Reggae Woman (at
least Stevie's own recording of it,; can't speak to the Stanley
Turrentine version that featured Stevie) is definitely diatonic,
first position, played in the top octave with lots of blow bends. I'm
not where I can check, but I seem to recall it was a G harp
(Listening to a sample at amazon.com it comes out in Ab, like Smokey
says).

Stevie doesn play diatonic on occasion. Other examples include an
album with Herbie Hancock sometime in the 1980s where he played both
chromatic and diatonic on the same tune, one after the other. It was
fairly free-ranging stuff - not atonal , just more freely phrased
than much of the pop-oriented stuff you usually hear from Stevie.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joe and Cass Leone
<leone@xxxx> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

> It's definately NOT a chromatic.  I don't rememeber what harp he
used
> (though key of C in 1st comes to mind)

Gee. I hate to rain on anyone's parade and I know that diatonic
players
(myself included) would love to embrace Stevie as one of their own
but
the tune is definitely chromatic. Oh, did I mention I forgot to flat
the A, it's Ab.

Take chromo and start by drawing on hole 8 (B). Chip only a tiny
portion of draw 8 and immediately slide in to draw 8 (B#). Do this
twice. Then go to draw 7, chip a tiny portion of draw 7(A) and
immediately slide into draw 7(A#). Do that once. Then settle up on
blow
7 (G), chip only a tiny portion and slide into blow 7 (G#).

 From there on, everyone will get the picture. There have been times
in
the past where Stevie was mentioned as playing a diatonic. I let
these
slide. While he is certainly capable of doing so, Stevie performs
with
a chromatic. While all head shots are taken with him holding a 64, he
plays 48s and  it is this which allows him to play games with the
keys.

Example: I played Alfie at Buckeye. Aside from the fact that I had
the
Carol-Beth True combo (4) and Stevie used the Paramount Orchestra
(40?), you would not have been able to distinguish the difference,
(albeit you would have to close your eyes....I don't wear sunglasses
:). The tune was in Bb. I used an F chromo played IN F. That was the
only way to get the 'authentic' sound.

For a diatonic version of this tune, check Fred Yonnett

smokey-joe (Lord of the reeds)

--- End forwarded message ---