Re: [Harp-L] Boogie on Reggae Woman

Yeah, the only note that's tricky is the B that has to be blown down to a Bb. All the other blow bends are reasonable. There's nothing mystical about the tune. I mean, when Steveland does it it's 'magical' but not mystical.

I use a spl-20 Ab harp without valves, but I have an old Huang Silvertone without valves that does fine for practice. Only problem is the Huang is in C. I think the thinner reeds allow a lot easier blow bending. Either that or it's easier because the Huang is up quite a bit higher (at C) than Ab is. Using a valved harp is a little squirelly up in the high range. At least for me.

I was always afraid of the high range anyway, that is until I discovered 'Piccolo' harps. Those dang things allow you to use an octave higher than stock while STILL staying in the low end of the harp. I like the more familiar (and easier) lower end. Trying to use the high end brings in that 'everything flips' syndrome, The blow notes wind up being higher than the draw notes. THAT gives me fits. Only a real man can work the high end of a harp (cleanly).

Tried to call Stevie but he is out of town (country actually), so I sent a letter.

smo-jo