[Harp-L] Playing loud and fast

Here's the reed offset answer. You set the reeds up high enough that they don't choke when you hit them hard but still play when you play softly with the cover plates on. In order to play fast and loud you need for the reed to pick up immediately to full volume. For some things I use biting technique for immediate pick up, not the glottal stop. I teach will this technique in my Grand Canyon seminar.

Now here is the trick for volume, you practice scales and arpeggios for about an hour a day for 10 to 15 years working constantly on getting immediate pick up and louder sound and getting faster. As you get louder you learn to focus the sound and get it to carry to the back of the hall. When you gain the next level of volume, you will have to learn to focus that level. So the object is to get on top of your sound as fast as you can in order to play immediately loud and focused so you can play with speed and volume.

Playing fast and loud requires a lot of work!!! The notes won't choke if you are relaxed when you hit them hard. That's the trick, isn't it. Kind of like Michael Jordan jumping high in the air but being totally relaxed as he does it.

harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

Siegfried wrote:
Absolutely, and it is exactly corresponding the problems harp players
are fighting with when they try to find the optimal offset (for Newbies: the
distance of reed tip - plate surface). If the offset is too small the
vibration
can´t start or you only can play softly. Is the offset bigger you can play
louder but is it too big the airstream chokes the vibration again.

That goes also for the playing speed. If you want to play faster than the
reed´s reaction time allows the reed´s answer may be: time is motion, so,
if you have no time - I won´t move.

In other words: Same as there´s no optimal harp or optimal offset there´s
no optimal relation of loudness and playing speed. It all depends on the
technic the player wants to apply.

So, Robert, I´ve problems to understand your:

playing fast and loud requires a lot of work. <

I´d rather said: playing fast and loud requires to change physics a little.
Hmmmh, how had you managed that?

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com