To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Another Man Done Gone

Thanks. I was curios about who played it on harmonica
first. So it is Sugar Blue most probably. Anyway it is
ingenious (Now I have three Sugar Blue recordings and
one del Junco).

--- Nate <huffa.puffa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.verahallproject.com/spirit/anotherman.html

This link is great. Much info there re the song in question. Vera told Alan Lomax that she heard her father singing the song and Allan wanted to her it so she gave it a go. I have found that performance on a cd of recordings Lomax did back then of Afro-American songs and Games. Also on the cd is Sonny Terry and Muddy Waters. A valuable cd for my blues radio show.

I first heard the song as done by Sugar Blues at a
Jazz festival. Mighty
fine. And Carlos Del Junco does it too on his Big
Boy album.

As to who wrote the song, not sure.

A classic that has endured the test of time.
Cheers