Subject: [Harp-L] RE: bending using tongue-block

Ludo writes in reply to Dennis Gruenling's post:
"Hi Dennis,
I first listened to the Walters, Sonny  Boys and all the post-war classics
around 1969, so by now I should've developed  an ear for tongue block nuances to
some extend, and I believe I have.
I must confess though, that I don't recall hearing too much evidence for your
 case in holes 1, 2 and even 3.
The last couple of years I hardly play  a bluesrecord anymore, so I might
have to refreshen my listening?
If  you now of any examples from the top of your head, please pass them  on.

About "how can you tell but by listening to  records"?
Oral report by the players.
You mentioned James  Cotton for instance; he's still alive, and I bet some
harmonica player has asked  him about it.
George Smith must've told people like Piazza, Clarke  etc.

You also wrote: << I TB my overblows  because I TB whenever I play harp.
and: <<The TB topic has been  done here to death,

Exactly my sore point. It hasn't  been.
Not when talking about TB-overblows!
Some months ago I  brought up the subject and I got several offlist reactions
from people saying  they were glad that finally someone touched the topic.
You were one of  the very few who responded then, but it has hardly been done
to  death.

I can (on some of my harps) do a left mouth  corner TB-overblow on holes 1
and 4, but not on the right side of my mouth; not  even on that same 4.
I don't necessarily absolutely want to be able to  do it, and don't practise
it intensely, I admit, but I dó find it intrigueing  enough to hear more about.
I'm quite happy with my present day mixed  embouchure of TB and puckered
OB's, but who knows I'll play differently in two  years, if this does get
discussed to death?
Ludo"

....as an interested observer....I can't help but find it  curious why you
continually question Dennis about his  ability to detect whether a player is or
is not TB'ing?   He  isn't the only professional musician to know whether or
not other  players TB  or pucker play just by listening to their records, a
couple who  are my friends can do it too but have you any idea that he is
probably one of the 20 or so people here with the credentials to  back up his
statements?  He not only fronts his own Jump-Blues Band but  dj's a radio show
featuring the musicians you've mentioned in this thread as  well as blues musicians
from the past whom most people have never heard of...and  has probably the
biggest collection  and an almost encyclopedic knowledge  of their music.  In
addition he's a highly respected teacher......a student  of his happened to
visit at my home during the summer and couldn't say enough  about how much he
thought of Dennis' teaching ability (including  tongue-blocking/OB'ing).

  I am strictly a pucker player...who has so far not been able to  grasp the
nuances of tongue blocking by trying to teach myself.  I  don't find
discussions of it here have or would help me learn the  technique....except when links
were posted pointing me to sites  where  I could find direct information or to
teachers with whom I could sign up.   I'm rather sure that's the direction I
next need to go in if I want to  incorporate TB'ing into my repertoire.

 Since I remember quite a lot of mentions of TB'ing/OB'ing, I'm  wondering if
we're not confusing "discussion" with hoping to be taught the  techniques on
the list?  As you've admitted, you don't put in the time  necessary to
practice...and if one were to pay any attention at all to those who  are the real
musicians here...one must practice, practice and then practice  some more...to
become proficient at any technique.  I'm as guilty of not  putting enough of the
time in as are you...but I'm not the one questioning  Dennis' "ear".  Clearly
he wasn't around to listen in 1969 as you  were...but please do not let his
relative youth fool you....he is an old, wise  soul in a young body.

 Caveat... I am not personally acquainted with Dennis...this is all  through
observation at Buckeye, Spah and listening to his Radio Show, plus word  of
mouth from friends of mine who are friends of his.

Just for the heck of it....if I do manage to see James Cotton in concert on
March 10 here on Long Island, NY (as I hope I'll get to do and still  attend
Jason Ricci's charity show the next day in New Jersey)...I'll ask  him the
question and post his response.

Elizabeth