[Harp-L] RE: ii-V-I question

Hi Jp,

If you are looking for good examples of playing the ii-V-I progression in a
jazz idiom I think it is more usefull to listen to the solos of jazz greats
instead of looking for themes. The jazz greats I listened to a lot are
Clifford Brown, Bud Powell, Fats Navarro and Charlie Parker ofcourse.

Maybe it helps to start playing mainly the 3rd and 7th of each chord. If you
play a ii-V-I in the key of C, on the Dm7 play the F and C, on the G7 play
the B and F and on the Cmaj7 play a E and B.

And try to resolve the lines you play in the following way:

Dm7 to G7: C resolves to B of G7, F resolves to F of G7
G7 to Cmaj7: F resolves to E of Cmaj7, B resolves to C of Cmaj7

If you like I can record examples of playing ii-V-I using the Jamey
Aebersold play-a-long series and publish it on my website.

Hope this will help you a bit,

Wim Dijkgraaf
http://www.wimdijkgraaf.com