Re: [Harp-L] minor keys

Richard Hunter wrote:

Okay, I'm convinced.
But perhaps you would LIKE to have a minor harp in your kit...

Well, if you gave me one I wouldn't give it back... ;-)

That aside, one minor (pun intended) point: every diatonic harmonica is
by definition a modal instrument, since it only contains the notes of a
single diatonic scale (overblowing and bending aside), and therefore
anything played on it, in any key, is played using a mode of that
scale.  So it's really a question of what mode you're playing on what
instrument.  You mention using a C harp played in A minor for Carolan's
Welcome; this is an Aeolian mode (unless you're bending or overblowing
notes on the harp for this piece, which I don't know and can't say,
since I don't know the piece).

'Tis indeed Aeolian mode. You can hear a decent MIDI of it here, in the right "key:" http://www.benpalmer.co.uk/musicmidi.htm Beautiful on a C harp, no bending needed.

It's amazing how sometimes the 10-hole diatonic seems tailor-made for Irish tunes, though that is of course because the vast majority of the tunes are modal. Seems kind of "ancient..." The usual drawback is the missing 6th of the lowest octave, which is why we gave birth to Mr Paddy Richter (I think Brendan Power was his biological father...).

....So there are a few different ways to do the job.  With Irish music, it
might come down to which position on which harp will let the player
execute various kinds of trills, grace notes, and other ornaments most
easily.  I can't say which of the various choices that might be.  But if
it's working already, I agree that there's no point in looking
elsewhere.

Sometimes you just choose the harp that the tune somehow "sits on" the best. It's often a question of the best way of accommodating fast runs of notes without too much huffing and puffing. In fast polkas it's often best to play in 2nd position for this reason, even though the tune is playable in 1st. Such tunes are in Mixolydian mode. As they often lack the flattened 7th they can be played in 1st OR 2nd, but 2nd is nearly always better to get a good "flow" for the tune.

I love the fact that there are no rules! Well, within reason anyway... ;-)

Steve

 http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm