Re: [Harp-L] Big Joe Turner and Harp

From: Tom Ball <havaball@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: Aeskow@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Big Joe Turner and Harp
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:15:47 -0800

Johnny T writes:
I just heard one of my favorite singers, Big Joe Turner, do his version of "Night Time is the Right Time"--its power is stupendous but effortless, as is
so much of his stuff. And it features some extremely funky harp--does anyone
know who's playing?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
That's George Smith on harp, from a release on Kent LP 542. Recorded in L.A. in '70.
Dunno if it's been reissued on CD or not...

cheers,
Tom Ball
Santa Babs

What a Great record that is too! I haven't been able to find it on CD as yet... and my LP is pretty worn out.

It's called, "Big Joe Turner Turns On The Blues"...
George plays on every tune...classic George all the way!

The other great George as a sideman CD I'd like to
see re-issued on CD is Sunnyland Slims, "Slim's Got His Thing Goin' On"
on ABC - Bluesway from 1968.

~Donnie~

MorTone Microphone
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/mortone/index.html