[Harp-L] Winslow harmonica-fiddle gig tomorrow in SF

Sorry for the self promotion - too late for Danny's gig list.

Tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 21) I'll be playing in a duo with
fiddler/singer Jonathan Goodwin at a Burns celebration at the Edinburgh
Castle in San Francisco.

Burns nights are held in January in celebration of the life, spirit,
and work of the 18th century Scottish
songwriter/poet/bohemian/egalitarian sloganeer Robert Burns.

Our ensemble will be just fiddle and harmonica - we have to be
resourceful and really drive, swing, harmonize, and lock in
rhythmically, but while it's hard work there's a lot of freedom in this
format.

In addition to his dark, snapping Cape Breton-style fiddling, Jonathan
has a powerful bass-baritone voice that can send small children fleeing
in terror (I've witnessed this - it was not intentional) and can bring
down the house with his snarling rendition of "A Parcel of Rogues in a
Nation".

I've been concentrating on Scottish and Canadian trad music - largely
fiddle music - mostly on XB-40 but also on tremolo, octave, regular
10-hole and chromatic, bringing the drive, heat, expression, rhythmic
buoyancy, and chordal fullness of the harmonica to this music.

We'll be at the Edinburgh Castle in San Francisco, starting about 8:00
PM.

Once a year the Edinburgh Castle lives up to its name and replaces the
usual punk and rock acts with its annual Burns Night.

The centerpiece is of course readings from Burns' works in impenetrable
but charming Scots accents, including his fabled address to the haggis
(a sort of gigantic organ-meat sausage). There is also a free buffet
for those afraid to eat the haggis, as well as a fine selection of
Scots ales and whiskeys.

This is augmented by music from a bagpiper and a trad group, the latter
being me and Jonathan. We'll be playing driving reels, strathspeys, and
jigs, mostly Scottish but with a little Cape Breton and even
Scandinavian thrown in the mix. Naturally, there will be some Burns
songs and tunes in the mix.

If you're in town and want to hear some burning harmonica and fiddle
music in something other than the usual blues context, come on down:

Edinburgh Castle
950 Geary Street (just east of Van Ness)
San Francisco, USA
415.885.4074
http://www.castlenews.com/burns.html

Winslow