[Harp-L] Re: Intonation and bending/overblow notes , iceman's summertime

I've said a lot about this topic in the past, and my opinions haven't
chanegd much.

Ultimately, whether fully chromatic playing on the diatonic is a viable
-- let alone leading -- approach is likely to be determined by three
factors:

1) Acceptance by musicians, and not just harp players -- all the other
people harp players play with are going to have to agree that it sounds
great.
2)  Acceptance by the public.
3)  Maybe, as per Joe Filisko's comments some time ago, development of
instruments that make fully chromatic playing on the diatonic easier and
more reliable.

Regarding point 1, there isn't much demand for this stuff by musicians
other than harp players at the moment, and not overwhelming demand by
harp players either.

Regarding point 2, the public at the moment seems most enamored of
players who play diatonics in a more or less traditional style.  But the
public is always late to the party anyway.

Regarding point 3, who knows?  It's just as likely that we get a
chromatic harp that's easier to use, or a chromatic harp that has a
diatonic's tone.  Or nothing new at all.

Conclusion: fully chromatic playing on the diatonic isn't taking over
the world soon.

Thanks, RH