[Harp-L] harp art

    O.K.,
             This is fun. There's a lot of energy
being expressed around technique and technical aspects
of playing   (mainly intonation). Here are a few
points I'd like to mention :( 1)generalizing
chromatic harp playing as  bland, emotionless
dentist's office music is just plain ignorant (2) of
course one can play a chromatic harp out of tune- you
can suck on any instrument,however, with a reasonable
amount of diligence and talent one can play it
perfectly in tune (but probably not a cat) the OBs I
can't say that so confidently ; (3) before I even
started playing harp (neolithic era) I
didn't like the sound of it because I heard it out of
tune so often (4) a great musician can overshadow
pitch problems w/ intense feeling, soul, still out of
tune is out of tune (5) being superb @ anything
especially music is extremely difficult because of
simultaneously striving for excellent technique and a
moving humanity (at least that's my concept) . So . to
defuse the emotionality of this issue here's my
impression of Van Gogh's learning curve (he's probably
my
favorite painter) : he started off (I think) as a
pretty average artist but was possessed with over-
coming mediocrity. He painted twelve a hours a day and
really overcame his ego in order to be "one" with his
art . He sacrificed. He developed intense emotional
expression AND technical skill.
He became a consummate artist ,unfortunately only
posthumously recognized as such but now he is a true
art "superstar".
     I'm not suggesting harpers cut off their ears but
creating powerful art with this humble people's
instrument as their medium, why not ?