[Harp-L] Tonal Complexity

I love the tone of the harmonica, and when listening to a player, many times I find myself enjoying their chops as a direct result of appreciating their tone...I like players whose tone speaks through their licks...In the beginning - what came first? (Tone or Licks) "the chicken or the egg type thing".

Personally, its usually a developed tone that keeps me fascinated. If someone plays a melody and hits some out of tune notes but can still sustain them with a "mature tone" that carries depth and essence, then the so-called sour or flat note will at the least be filled with professional character..Sure it could be argued that the flat notes were a poor choice of musical discernment, but were they?

Can a flat note have the essence of good tone? If so - is it not worthy of the listeners ears to behold the quality of its unsung beauty?...If a flat note is not capable of heartfelt tone,,, that is when player might want to put the breaks on artistic freedom - especially if the goal is to increase the listeners perception of the harmonicas capabilities of integrated tonal complexity!