[Harp-L] Quiet Progress

I have been watching this discussion re: the use of OBs with a lot
of interest.  While some people argue the "can it be done/should it
be done" questions, folks like Tinus are posting stuff like this
that just blows the discussion out of the water:

http://overblow.com/mp3/II_V_I.mp3

Remember, we are the vanguard of this technique.  There are a bunch
of up-and-comers who will pick it up while they're still beginners,
and won't stop to listen to conversations about whether or not to do
it, they'll just quietly master the process and move on.

Also, regarding Richard Hunter's comments:

* "there isn't much demand for this stuff by musicians other than
harp players at the moment"

I maintain that other musicians don't "demand" it, because they
don't care.  I don't tell my guitarist what guitar to use or how to
hit certain notes, and he doesn't tell me.  The diatonic sound fits
what we do, and we like to push it as far as we can.  I use a
variety of techniques to get the notes I want, including altered
tunings, harp switching, and yes, overbends.  Not a single musician
has come up to me and asked me about how I achieved (or failed to
achieve) a particular note in a particular song.

* "the public at the moment seems most enamored of players who play
diatonics in a more or less traditional style"

The public doesn't care how to play a harmonica.  They love a guy
like Jason Ricci, not because he plays with overbends, but because
he puts on a kick-ass, high-energy performance and they get great
value for their entertainment dollar.  If Jason needs overbends to
do what he does, that's his business, not theirs.  The only people
who ever comment on my technique are other harmonica players.
Dennis Gruenling is as traditional as they get, yet you'll still
hear him toss in the odd overblow from time to time.

There are myriad solutions to the problem of "missing" notes on
diatonic harmonicas.  Overbends is one.  Nothing more, nothing
less.  I hate overbends to prove a point, or "because it can be
done".  I love overbends when I can hit that flat 3rd on the 6OB and
slowly bend it up a half-step...

-tim