[Harp-L] Mr. Heresy rags on "music" and blues

Hey I love this list, from which I learn so much, at least theoretically, and I occasionally have to scream at it.

Like now. Many half-*ssed amateurs like me love the blues as a form of personal expression and communication, don't know squat about music theory, 3rd or 11th or doggie-style position, overblowing and u- and w- and x-blocking (for various reasons; I happen to be stupid, lazy, busy with other things, genetically defective and quite possibly tin-eared.)

So when doubtlessly fine musos and well-intentioned professionals and critics say things like, (esp here re: a Gindick JamCamp finale jam) "Of course, once the professionals got up there, it went back to being music" , I just want to pull someone's hair out. Please, it's a Jam, remember? Not a Recital at Albert blinkin' Hall.

I think that's why Jon calls it "Jam Camp"! Of course, harps and jammin' ain't all about blues, but the Gindick Jam Camp is certainly basically blues oriented, for better or worse. (I think so, anyway, can't speak for my hero Jon "Got Gonads" Gindick, but it's my experience there, the one time in my life I took formal harp instruction in a group setting.)

So, anyway, perhaps a JAM, folks, is not a contest, not a Command Performance, not a clinic on positions, but a confiture de blues, a toss-your-best-stuff-in-the-pot-and-enjoy-it sorta thang!

Really, I deeply respect the professionalism and amazing skills and knowledge displayed on this list, and on stage, by many of you with awesome chops and technical acument.

E.g., I am still awed by Dancin' Dave Ferguson's (and Dave Dix' and Tim Hill's, etc.) masterful, soulful playing at a jam in Stratford last December, and of course the likes of major players like Jaw-Droppin' Jason, Professor "Homeboy" Winslow, Tom "Havina" Ball and so many others who are truly major artists and serious contributors of music, thought, arcana and much-needed beauty to this crazy world.

But some of you all just gotta relax and remember the ten-hole diatonic is a (uh oh!) less-than-twenty-dollar toy!

Indeed, have FUN with it, and if you can make amazing, nuanced and profoundly sophisticated music, as some of you actually do, great! But please don't bust the chops of us half-*ssed amateurs just because we can't play like whatsisname in x position, 24 to the bar with smooth overblows, and please some of you forgive us if the notes are a semidemiquaver off true pitch or tar or feathers or whatever.

If someone's standing in front of you knockin' out some of what they call their blues and puttin' their heart into it, at least appreciate his or her guts if not their chops. And if it's not music to your ears, at least try to appreciate what it means to the player who is trying to express him or herself, whether musically orthodox or no.

Defensively yours,

Dave Fertig
http://elmtreeblues.org/
(And yes, I sound like crap but I dig playin' with folks who enjoy relaxing with the blues!)