Re: [Harp-L] Toy?

Back in the 1960's I used to buy my diatonic harps direct from Hohner "by
the dozen "... They came 12 in a box... I'd blow out one or two every gig... AND
 they ripped my lips to pieces... The pear wood used to SWELL so bad! I'd
throw two or three "Special Vampers" (AKA "Marine Bands") into the bin  after
every gig... I didn't know then that they could be repaired!... SILLY  ME!!!!
Then Hohner refused to sell me any more harmonicas wholesale... That  put my
playing back YEARS... Instead of paying "cost price" overnight the prices
doubled... I said "Why??? I buy more harmonicas than most music shops"....But
they didn't care...
These days I mainly play "custom" harmonicas.. Why??? Because they play
better and they don't rip up my lips!
The other day someone asked me "How much is that case of harmonicas
worth?"....
This is my "working" kit...I sat down and calculated... Something like
£6,500 GBP.... Nearly ten grand in US Dollars... That is just my everyday  kit... I
have lots more as "back up"... (They are NOT insured... I can't afford  the
premium)
I'm not bragging... I've built up my harp collection over years and  years...
I run 6..5k GBP worth of harmonicas... SOME TOY!
Best wishes
John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England