[Harp-L] Re : Dm question & Ice man

Grant axed :

Excerpt

" I'm working on a new song with my band. It's in A minor. I was going to try a D minor harp (the song has a kind of bluesy feel and an A minor harp doesn't quite sound right), ...

Thanks,
Grant "

Hurricane sez :

Hello Grant :

Most times a regular ole D harp will fill the bill if your bending skills are proficiant .

Recently the " Ice " Man posted a video of him playing Gherswin's " Summertime " with a D harp while accompanied by a guitarrist and it's killer , I know why because I did just about the same thing to that song too ( and now I play the guitar part since my little miracle in 1998 :) I used this song with a duet arrangement with a acoustic nylon classic type guitarrist ( My cousin hitting a simi bolero type groove on the guitar :) playing it in Am starting with the  Am chord then using a decending A to Ab to G using the same approach on the Dm chord that see saws back and forth through out the song . This is a nice thing the root to the major 7th to the Dominant 7th the Dominant 7th the " Blue " note in the - - you guess it - - the major acent of The Blues in a song at the end turn around of a song where that " bluesy " yearning to return to the head and begin again hits ya   - - ahhh that felt good -- it feels even better when you do the harp part in this same manner that does
that drop of one and a half steps in a bend ooooooo it's neato .

Just out of cureousity what's the chord progression ? The one I use mostly on Summertime is a Am-Dm-E two times then tag it with a C  , and a Am-C-D-E-C-Am to end it with a little tension . Do these chords have and similaity with your song ?

And to señor Iceman :

I really dug what you threw down on that song , it was really tastie . Made me rethink on using it on my next project , thanks for the memories it brought me .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx