Re: [Harp-L] review of "Paul Butterfield Teaches Blues Harmonica Masterclass"

Paul,

    Sorry you had to waste your money on that "Butter Instructional", he WAS
a great player and Musician, but NOT a very good teacher as you found out.

     So here is a Butter Lesson you WON'T  be disapponted with, buy These 3
Records or CD's:

1) The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Elektra)...his first
2) Paul Butterfield's Better Days (Bearsville)
3) The Paul Butterfield (Double) Live (Elektra-Rhino reissued a limited
pressing on CD)

Then take your time and listen to his work, watch how his playing grew in
the order of the above recordings.
Make up an index card with the Keys of the songs and the Key Harp he used
(on these records it mostly cross harp or 2nd position, if you have any
questions w/ keys we can help out here on the list.

Listen to his ideas, they are very "Horn like" and not typically "phrased"
like so many Trad. Players, but he knew how to incorporate all that and when
he wanted to stay in a "Chicago" bag he had no problems holding his
own...(check out Fathers & Sons for that). He played the harp upside down he
used both TB and Pucker...but PLEASE don't get all hung up on
that!.....study and listen to the MUSIC he's making 1st...the rest will fall
into place.

But most importantly listen to his SOUL speaking through his music, it's
pretty DEEP, and at that point is when he TEACHES us the most, The blues
skills must emanate from that deepness, you won't find that on any
instructional tape....but it's all over the records of Butter, The Walters,
Wells, Cotton, The SonnyBoy's and Terrys alike,-)))))).....

Map out and jam along with this stuff at your own pace....you WILL pick up
some great ideas, he WAS one of THE best!

     again, the list here and myself can help out with any of the technical
stuff, so never be afraid to ask...and happy harpin'....you've mad a good
choice in Butter tho!,-)

I learned alot from this mans recordings and really do appreciate the body
or work he left us....enjoy

hope this helps,
rob paparozzi