Re: [Harp-L] Hymns with a passion

Gospel music in jams usually only has two homes: praise music (usually found
at church, though some groups gather elsewhere as well) and bluegrass.  So
if you cannot find the first group around you, you will have to learn to
work with the bluegrass musicians.

However, you cannot be in a better group with bluegrass musicians, most of
the time.  Those that survived their youth and misdirections have come to
bluegrass from a wide range of experience and may have the knowledge to help
you out.  Those that have been in bluegrass all of their lives, have
probably dabbled elsewhere enough that they can hold whatever you want to
play once you get them started, or they may even be able to start it
themselves.

Bluegrass is all about the love of music.  It starts with Bill Monroe and
Flatt & Scruggs and all, but eventually leads further out into the world.
Oddly enough, bluegrass has filtered out into many other music genres and it
includes older versions of many of those same music genres.  Bill Monroe
studied blues and made sure it was in his music.  Jazz and blues are a close
relation, so that which was not added by Bill Monroe was added by his
players who came from all different backgrounds.  (Jazz and blues tunes that
can be found in bluegrass include "Farewell Blues", "Rocky Road Blues", "Man
of Constant Sorrow", "Florida Blues", "Little Rock Getaway", "Draggin' the
Bow", "Beaumont Rag", "Sweet Georgia Brown", "The World Is Waiting For The
Sun To Rise", "Sheik of Araby", etc.)  At the time that bluegrass was
getting its name, it was still considered to be country music.  It is by
definition a folk music form, though bluegrassers usually balk at that title
because of the folk junk that was produced in the 60's and 70's.  And
bluegrass is an ensemble music form, with everyone having a specific task or
job, like classical music or jazz.  Rock has both influenced bluegrass at
one point or another or been influenced by bluegrass, and many of its songs
can actually be translated well into bluegrass.  So, all in all, bluegrass
is a well-rounded form of music with wide relationships and a particular
visage which is seen by the world and is known as "bluegrass".  It was
always a high performance ("show") music with teamwork that occurs on fly by
all of the members of the group.  They could not have done what they did if
they did not love music in the first place.

Bluegrassers usually do not like to play the same things the same way all
the time any more than you do, by the way.  (They only exceptions to this
are the "bluegrass nazis" or the "bluegrass police".  The "bluegrass nazis"
drive things their way regardless and powerplay until they get their way.
The "bluegrass police" are the ones who stand around and complain ("police")
anyone who doesn't stick to what they consider are the rules.  For the most
part, the "bluegrass nazis" cannot keep a jam going with regular bluegrasser
unless they are the only deal in town and the "bluegrass police" are more a
joke than an actuality because they won't stay long.  You can learn a lot
from them about the tradition of the music as far as they know, but it
doesn't sound like either of these groups are a problem in your area.)  So
the players in the bluegrass jam are probably ripe for a little change now
and again.  You just have to help them understand where you are headed.

One way for you to do this is to get recordings of the music you would like
to present and study them so that you can reproduce the beat and key in
which you want to play everytime you wish to call each tune.  Once you show
them what you want and get it started, they should be able to hold it for
you.  You may first need to study them to learn how they communicate such
things to each other in order to be most effective, but once you are able to
communicate what you want to them, you will need to confidently reproduce
exactly what you want played so that they can learn it and hold it for you.
In this last regard, a fiddler might prove the best model for you as far as
communicating with the group and learning how to get the tune started and
how to signal its end.  Fiddlers are one of the few in a typical bluegrass
jam that does not hold an important rhythm position within the group, so
they typically have to call or signal changes, keys, and beats.  They may do
it vocally or they may do it within the music that they play on their
fiddle, but the signals are important to help the fiddler keep the rhythm
players informed as to what is about to happen.  A lot of communication goes
on while the music is being played, so watch the looks, head nods, gestures,
and learn to identify the signals and what they mean.  It will help you
learn to work with the jam.  An old bluegrass joke about fiddlers is that
there is really only one fiddle tune and it starts "da, da, dat dat".  That
joke alludes to the fact that this signal to begin the tune and set the time
is one of the most common starts fiddlers use on their tunes.  It is one
worth learning.

Another thing you might try while you learn about how the jammers
communicate is to identify another jammer who may also be interested in some
of the music you would like to play.  If he is a rhythm player, all the
better.  He will be able to learn what you want, then hold it for the jam to
latch onto when you call your tune.  It doesn't hurt to work with one of the
jammers and get him involved with your ideas.  It may be educational for
both of you.

By the way, if you haven't tried to learn fiddle tunes yet, you might make
that one of your goals during the jam session.  They can be quite a
challenge and an awful lot of fun.  Pick out one that you like so that you
can call it, even if you don't play on it.  Listen to it and find the main
melody and learn it (quietly) while the others are playing the tune for
you.  Once you learn the basic melody, then you can add a few of the more
typical embellishments until you have a workable version of the tune for
yourself.  You might even see if you can get a decent recording of the tune
so that you can work some on it at home.  You will need to learn the name of
the tune (so that you can call it) and the key (so that you can work with
the recording once you get home).

Have fun and keep at it!!

Cara Cooke
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com