[Harp-L] Re: Jerry Portnoy CDs

At 05:50 PM 1/28/2006, Mark Seagrave wrote:
>>... I am considering ... The Jerry Portnoy CDs. First of all are they worth it?

For me they are worth it. Very complete. Including lip pursing, tongue blocking, rhythm, breathing, vibratro, percussion, and much more. Enough there to keep you busy for weeks.

>>Also at least one place online I thought it was said you needed an harp in the key of A to do that program is that true?

Jerry does use an A harp, but there is no play along on the two 'instructional' CDs. So you can use whatever harp you have handy. The third CD is composed of play along tracks in A, B, and E. I'm going by the track titles only. I haven't started playing along with them, and without playing some of the tracks that don't have the key in the title I cannot say for sure what key they are in, but I suspect there are no other keys included. The first two CDs are worth the price, there are plenty of other sources of play along material.

If you are going to play along with CDs you will probably end up needing other keys anyway. So investing in an 'A' harp will prove beneficial for more than just Jerry's course. For $9.99 (plus shipping) you can get a set of seven Kay Chicago Blues harmonicas in the seven natural keys. I have the set and they are worth it. I have given several of them (B, C, E, and G )as gifts. See ==> <http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Harmonica?sku=429022>Musicians Friend

Okay, Pros, don't get too upset with me. I also have Lee Oskars, Seydels, and Hohners.

Paul