Re: [Harp-L] Jerry Portnoy CDs

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:31:31 -0800 (PST)
From: MARK SEAGRAVE <markseagrave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Jerry Portnoy CDs
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>Greetings
>
>  I am a beginning harp player since May of '05
>  8<
>  I got a Barnes and Noble gift certificate for
>  Christmas that I am considering using toward
>  The Jerry Portnoy CDs.
>  8<
>  First of all are they worth it? Also at least one
>  place online I thought it was said you needed
>  a harp in the key of A to do that program is that
>  true?I have only a Hohner Golden Melody in C.
>  8<
>  Do I need the extra expense of an A harp to make
>  that program work for me?
>  Thanks in advance
>  Mark Seagrave

Hi Mark,
  Yes it's definitely worth it.  Yes you need to buy a key of A harp, its a
commonly used key, so you'll be getting one eventually anyway.
There are some things in Jerry's course which aren't accurate, but overall
it's definitely worth it.  As I was learning, I'd listen to a track and
found I had to put in a number of weeks practice before I'd got what he was
teaching, and move on to the next track.  ~use the playalongs!~
  I've leant it to a couple of professional blues harp buddies who've found
some of it valuable.  For someone wanting to learn the blues I think its
definitely worth getting and hanging onto.
  But in addition to that course, I recommend you get a good sampling of
Blues CDs, and contrary to certain advice given on this group, get
recordings of the best blues harmonica players, and listen carefully to
what they're doing. Also listen to what the band are doing.  The more
familiar you get with them, the more you'll be able to draw on when you
gain some technical control over your instrument.

Cheers,
-- G.