Re: [Harp-L] Best compromise temperament

Of course, there are any number of compromises in temperament that can
be used on the diatonic harmonica.  Which one is going to work best
for you is going to depend on how much chords and non-octave intervals
factor into your playing, as well as how critical it is for you to
accompany an equally tempered instrument like a piano, horn or single
note guitar.

The 19-limit just temperament seeks to remedy the most egregious of
the just features in this regard, the deeply flatted flat 7th in the ^
draw chord (not the 4th of the C chord, since the 5 draw cannot be
played with the 1-2-3 blow).  It does not, however, address the
flatness of the 3rds, both the 3/5/8 blows (14 cents flat) and the 3/7
draws (10 cents flat).

The Hohner compromise tunings address this in a small way, bringing
these notes up a couple of cents closer to the reference tuning.
There are also some compromises that start with equal temperament and
just tweak the 3rds down a couple of cents to smooth out the chords a
*little*.  This temperament does still allow for some pretty deeply
flatted 3rds on the draw chord (-12 cents on the 5/9 draws).

Unfortunately, not too many temperament variations are available from
manufacturers, including 19-limit just (as far as I know).  Most
manufacturers seem to be happy with 7-limit just, a "standard"
compromise, and equal.  It's hard to describe what other possibilities
might be, what they might sound like.

I opt for one set of 19-limit just intoned harps, and another set of
equal tempered, though I nearly always play the equal.

-tim