Re: [Harp-L] funeral harp

On Jul 8, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Mick Zaklan wrote:

Have only played at one funeral; did it New Orleans-style. You know;
somber walk to the cemetary and joyous march back. Lots of people have
suggested "When the Saints Go Marching In" but companion piece, "Just a
Closer Walk With Thee" has great, mournful bends and sounds great in cross.
Put the two together and you are mourning, then being uplifted.

---Mick Zaklan
_

I have done 6 funerals and usually let the family decide the tunes. 3 samples:

1... Mayor of Erie Pa.... Ave Maria, Send in The Clowns (by request), Because You Come to Me. Ending with I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow.

2... Carnegie-Mellon Professor.... How Are Things in Glockamorrah, dixieland version of Closer Walk as a dirge leading into What a Friend in Jesus as a lively march. Ending with Londonderry Aire (Danny Boy)

3... Cement Contractor... Variations on a Theme by Paganinni, Claire de Lune, (and would you believe) Send in The Clowns. Ending with Sunny Side of the Street

smokey-joe