[Harp-L] RE: Harp songs for a funeral

Out of lurk mode for a moment...

Lots of great selections for a funeral!

I second Mick's suggestion for "Just a Closer Walk With Thee." Great tune
and most appropriate for a funeral. One of my favorite hymns. Also, many
gospel tunes lay out quite nicely on a 365 low C 12-holer. For example,
"Rock Of Ages" and "Shall We Gather By The River" work out great played in
octaves on a 365.

And don't forget "Danny Boy." Played that one on a diatonic at my Dad's
funeral earlier this year. Somehow I made it through it. There was hardly a
dry eye in the house, particularly my own. It goes without saying that it's
very difficult rendering a tune on harp while you're crying... So my advice
is to practice ~a lot~ beforehand. If your mindset and experience was
anything close to mine, there are many obstacles to playing a song you
~think~ you know by heart at a funeral, especially if you were very close to
the deceased.

Best wishes and my heartfelt condolences.

Michelle