Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp songs for a Funeral

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:40:51 EDT
From:  EGS1217@xxxxxxx
Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp songs for a Funeral
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: drabluesman@xxxxxxxxx

BostonMoeJo writes:

"The Old Rugged  Cross
Nearer My God to Thee

I'll second Bob  Cohen's  suggestions:
Amazing Grace
&
Will the Circle Be   Unbroken
Taps (at the grave site)

On Jul 7, 2006, at  6:52  PM, Don Alexander wrote:

> I have been  ask to  play my  harmonica at a funeral.  Any suggestions
>  as  to  what songs would be appropriate and that can be played  on a
>  harmonica (diatonic or chromatic)??   Any suggestions  are
>  appreciate.  I was  thinking Shenandoah, Red  River Valley,  etc..."

.......  Not to give you grief specifically, BostonMoeJo, but those  first
two
Hymns would likely be quite offensive performed at a  Jewish  funeral....or
any services not specifically  Christian.  Don  requested songs, not hymns
from
us....so I  don't think he was  specifically looking for anything overtly
religious in  nature.  The first one I thought of was my favourite,  Amazing
Grace....but it is a hymn as well.

Shenandoah is a good song,  in my humble opinion...wistful.   Danny Boy....
_Click   here: Danny Boy - Irish Song Lyrics and Music Midi_
(http://www.ireland-information.com/irishmusic/dannyboy.shtml)    Minstrel
Boy  (depending on the
gender of the deceased and/or  military service:  _Click here: The  Minstrel
Boy_  (http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/minstrel.html)
I've  always liked Green, Green Grass of Home as well _Click here: V Coy
Green  Green_ (http://maori2000.com/vcoy67/green.htm)

(The music and lyrics can be heard and read at the links   provided).

I've just tried playing all of them (including Red River  Valley  and
Shenandoah) on my Super 64 Chromatic and was able to  segue easily from  one
to the
other.  I don't have the  bending skills on diatonics...so  someone else will
have to  answer Don's question from that  perspective.

Elizabeth

P.S.  Just thought of another:  one  that's more modern  could be The Wind
Beneath My Wings, but I  liked Lee Greenwood's version  first.  Haven't tried
play  it."