Re: [Harp-L] XB40 Mouthpiece - some options

Thanks Winslow;
                           Evereything you say here makes sense. I had
thought of the problem of fitting the back of a chrom mouthpiece to the
XB, suspecting it might be the main problem, and had also considered
filing the existing one to shape. (The latter will leave me with even
bigger holes than I've already got, however) What you say about the tone
is what I had imagined too.
                           The only thing that bothers me about
spending the $$ on the 'A' XB is the thought that it won't be a lot of
use to me except for playing in A and E. My band does do one tune in B
minor, but I usually do that on a G. C# minor? Nope. F#m same deal. The
C XB, by comparison, is a much more useful proposition really.
                           Still, there are a lot of tunes in E where I
would normally play the standard diatonic, and the thought of creating
or acquiring a high A doesn't turn me on. The high G is good but I think
my filligs might start to fall out if I play anything higher than that.
                           I think I might actually make up some
mouthpieces for the XB. I have a pal who works in a design/modelling
lab., and he can go from a drawing all the way to the casting.
                           What metal do you think I should use if I'm
going the casting route; aluminium is out, and if it's brass I'll have
to plate. Don't know if I can do stainless.
                           Thanks for taking the time to reply.
RD

>>> "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 14/07/2006 3:28:08 >>>
I play a lot on the XB-40s in G, A, and low D. They are all much
louder than their standard 20-reed counterparts. To my ear, the A is
especially bright sounding - perhaps because I spend so much time
playing the G. Even the Low D has more oomph that a regular low D,
though it sounds sort of woolly and tubby compared to the G, and,
especially, the A.

Like you, I tongue block and switch constantly along with all the
other tongue blicking techniques and effects. However, I don't notice
any problem with the XB-40 holes. But then I don't have a problem with
the 270 either, which many folks complain about.

One simple option would be to sculpt the edges of the existing holes.
Perhaps first break the line of the edge by dragging a sharp tool
along it with mild force, then sand it with an inward-curving motion,
using very fine grit paper on a sanding wand, or glued to a stick cut
to match the width of the hole - try to avoid creating sharp corners -
use a small rounded dowel with sandpaper to sand the corners.

As to adapting existing chromatic mouthpieces, there are some
encouraging facts and some difficult problems.

The holes on the XB-40 line up with standard chromatic holes on both
the Super 64 and the 270 (I just checked). The shape of the mouthpiece
on the standard Hohner 64 (and Super and 64x) would help smooth the
"bump" between the mouthpiece and the covers, which can cause problems
with wide tongue blocks. That's encouraging.

However, the first problem is that you'd have to graft the left and
right ends of a chromatic mouththpiece together so that you'd have
only ten holes instead of 12 or 16, and so that you'd have end pieces.
You'd also have to shorten the end pieces and move the screw holes in.

However, there is a bigger problem than the length of the mouthpiece.
The back of the mouthpiece must fit properly against the body of the
harmonica, and neither the standard 12-hole mouthpicec (flat back) or
the 64-type mouthpiece (indented channel in the back) would fit the
XB. The reedplates on the XB protrude approximately 2mm in front of
the comb. The edges of the mouthpiece covers these, but the center
projects between them to contact the front surface of the comb - it's
the opposite shape to the 64 mouthpiece along the back.

Looking at the standard chromatic mouthpieces, neither appears thick
enough to acoomodate the required modification while preserving a
desirable profile. Given that, I would opt to mill a completely new
mouthpiece from a preferred material (brass, acrylic, whatever). That
or just sand the hole edges on an existing mouthpiece.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rick Dempster"
<rick.dempster@...> wrote:

I am going to buy my second XB. Had the C for over a year now, and I
want an A. I think  the loud, mid-range strength of the XB might
overcome some of the problem of 'cutting through' with the lower keys.
However, before I commit the funds, I'd like to know if anyone has a
suggestion for changing the mouthpiece to something with round, rather
than square holes; I am a tongue-blocker/switcher, and the square
holes
on a normal diatonic are no problem, but the huge sharp-cornered
pot-holes on the XB really annoy me.
Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to think I could get something
ready-made, or adapt from a chrom., maybe.
Haven't tried it yet;just hoping someone else has before I start
wasting time.
Thanks in anticipation
Rick Dempster

--- End forwarded message ---