[Harp-L] Re: Miller is a 12-Year-Old Harp Monster

After listening to the 2 or 3 songs on their web site which have harp, I
wouldn't call this kid a monster player at all. Listen to their posted recording
of Low Down Dirty Blues and tell me the kid is even a good blues harp
player.

IMHO, what he has going for him is the "wow, look at the cute chubby young
kid and listen to how fast he can play a harmonica" factor. Great novelty act,
not a musical act. The kind of act that would impress .... oh, I don't know,
maybe David Hasselhoff!

I've seen this kid on TV, where what I thought I saw and heard was
repetitive speed licks that had no real ties to the song being played. I saw him  live
at a local blues fest last year where he did the same speed licks deal and
got a bigger wow factor round of applause than Kim Wilson.

While it certainly isn't my preferred type of playing, I can listen to  great
speed licks playing (Sugar Blue, Jason Ricci, even Popper) that is tied to
the song being played, but watching someone just rip the same speed lick over
and over with seemingly no feel for the song being played leaves me cold.

Andy Vincent