Re: [Harp-L] Getting More Harmonica 'Out There'

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "paul"
<paul@...> wrote:

> For those that know our instrument's history, a
single tune such as Peg O'
> My Heart had an immense effect on the harmonica's
commercial visibility (and
> viability) for a while, as well as the influence
that led to a lot of people
> wanting to play it . . .

> Comments???

funny, i was just thinking about ol' "Peg" earlier
today. just about every Sunday i listen this guy Dick
Buckley on the radio. he has a jazz program on the
radio that runs for three hours straight, playing jazz
mostly from the 20's, 30's, 40's and maybe early 50's.
in other words, the very kind of music that "Peg" fans
were (and still are) listening to and the very era
when harmonica bands were at their zenith. and yet,
i've never onece heard a single note of music on that
program come from a harmonica, and the man plays music
every Sunday for THREE HOURS. as big as harmonica
trios may have been, and as much influence as "Peg"
may have had, it seems to have largely created only
harmonica bands. it didn't put a harmonica player into
any of the big bands or small combos of the day, or if
it did, their music apparently has barely survived or
not at all. i have to say it sounds more like a
passing fad - the Macarena of its day - than a lasting
contribution to music. and i'd say the last time that
happened, and i know i'm about to invite flames, was
with John Popper's contributions to Blues Traveler's
1st and 4th albums ("Blues Traveler" and "Four",
respectively) and the Dave Matthews tune "What Would
You Say" - but that was all over with by 1995. ten
years on, where is his stamp on the mainstream music
scene? you can still hear Dave Matthew's influence.
(for that matter, where is Paul Butterfield's stamp?
or Little Walter's? or Sonny Boy's?)
i don't mean to be a downer, but i do think that when
you look at the history of the harmonica and its image
in pop culture and music overall, it looks like it's
going to take alot more than a single tune, or even 3
or 4 top tens, or even American Idol ;), to put
harmonica "out there" where it belongs.

  --Jp