[Harp-L] FW: Mark Sallings son

 I thought I would pass this along to the list. Mark and his family need the
thoughts and prayers from everyone, but especially from his fellow road
warriors/harp brothers and sisters out there.

Thanks,

Steve McIver

  _____

.

Note to Friends and Fans of Mark Sallings and The Famous Unknowns:

Our son, Mark Andrew, who is 28, was in a serious one car-collision, *yes he
had on a seat belt, but he was in a Transam, with the t-tops out and rolled
and slid down a gravel road.

He is in critical condition at St. John's Medical Center in Springfield,
Missouri, in Surgical Intensive. The waiting area number is: 417-820-2245,
for those of you who want to call during the day. Usually I am there waiting
for visits and ANY good news. Sitting on pins and needles.

Our son suffered massive chest trauma which includes his scapula puncturing
his left lung and crushing his his left clavicle in pieces. He also has a
mild closed head injury.

However, he WALKED TWO MILES with a "sucking chest wound" and multiple
serious injuries on a gravel road in the middle of the night to get HELP for
himself. The doctors are amazed that he walked; what an incredible will to
live.

But, walking with that punctured lung, the sucking chest wound, etc., meant
the walking used up LOTS of oxygen. Therefore, he had some oxygen loss to
the tissues. He also almost went into full cardiac arrest here at that
hospital twice, and another time we almost lost him, but pulled through.

HOWEVER, once again, he suffered loss of oxygen to the brain.

Yesterday they called in a top neurosurgeon, and the good news is NO
swelling in the brain.

The BAD news, he did suffer what appears to be, from what they can determine
from CT Scans and MRI's thus far, MINIMAL brain damage due to oxygen loss.
This is the quote "the doctors best estimate."

The doctor says we won't know more about how much he is going to recover
until he is more stable and off of the ventilator and we can find out if he
can talk. The doctor is pleased, though with some of the movements he is
making; he says "we're only four days into this, so some of the responses
are good for this early on."

My son does open his eyes, respond to pain, and move his arms and legs.

He does open his eyes on command, and he cries :( when he hears his mamma's
voice, and he settles down when I kiss his forehead or sing to him; he LOVES
music and plays guitar. So, it soothes him.

He opens his eyes for his brother and grandfather.

However, at this point, he does NOT follow commands like hold our hands,or
wiggle his toes; not yet at least. We are trying to be POSITIVE ALL of the
time, but it's very hard. So that is why I am sending out this email; to ask
for encouragement.

Also, his neck is broken at the level of C5 (stable fracture) and he is NOT
paralyzed!! Here is his current condition:

1. Critical-but stable

2. On a Ventilator (breathing machine)

3. 2 Chest Tubes Left side- chest injuries, broke bones in shoulders etc.

4. Kidneys working GOOD

5.Liver improving daily

6. They are removing his sedation trying to wake him up to stimulate him and
start weaning off of the vent and see how much he's going to respond.

7. Another neuro doctor will see him today and will start brain stimulating
drugs.

We are asking that whatever your faith or belief, that you remember our son,
and our family. Send your positive thoughts, comments of encouragement and
prayers.

Mark WILL get to see him on Friday when he comes through on his way to Lake
of the Ozarks for work. I'm staying here at the hospital. I have an air
mattress, and last night the hospital let me stay in a room in the hospital,
while my other son, stayed in the intensive care waiting area. I only have
two sons; they are very close.

As you know, musicians do not get paid time off, or family leave. So, Mark
Sr. has to work.

We have a very small family and as you know, I lost my only sister four
years ago this past June. My parents are older and this is very hard on
them; so remember them as well; and my other son, Bill. The boys are very
close.

My heart is torn and aching like nothing I can ever express to anyone.

Thankfully, I can communicate with you all.

We need your positive encouragement. We believe in the power of positive
thinking! Prayer too. We have a long road ahead and well.... enough said...
a mother's heart is strong, yet...I need to close.

Love to All,

Sandi

Checked by AVG Free Edition.