[Harp-L] pathetic, again

So, for all those who defended Wikipedia, try this out.

"The harmonica is commonly used in blues (e.g. Jason Ricci) and folk music (e.g. Bob Dylan), but also in jazz (e.g. Howard Levy), classical music, country music (e.g. Charlie McCoy), rock and roll (e.g. John Popper) and pop music (e.g. Rosco Selley). Increasingly, the harmonica is finding its place in more electronically generated music, such as dance and hip-hop (e.g. Jeff Grossberg), as well as funk and acid jazz (e.g. Chris Michalek). Harmonica seems to be an instrument that crosses ethnic, musical, and cultural divides in a manner that is not as well duplicated by many other instruments."

Let's see. Dylan as an example of folk harmonica? He hasn't played folk music since 1965. It's a lot less egregious than many here. I like many of the players above, but how many records have most of these people sold? Ten? The only ones who belong in a main-page encyclopedia page on harmonica are Popper, Levy and McCoy. Hell, Adler isn't mentioned, Toots isn't mentioned, Little Walter isn't mentioned--and if we're going by impact on the world at large and the easiest way to judge that, sales, STEVIE isn't mentioned!

This is pathetic, and a wonderful example of everything I was talking about with regards to Wikipedia in general, and the harmonica page there in specific.

I know, I'll get the chorus of "well, why don't you change it?" Because, if I just delete it (as it deserves--there's a whole section below about genres and players) it will be seen as too much deletion of material and so forth. I'd love to hear someone defend the above.

And note, this isn't a diss on any of the players mentioned. I quite like many of them individually and their playing as well, but I bet more than one of them would be embarrassed to see themselves as the exemplars of their genre.

I skimmed the rest. It doesn't get better. Ah, the joys of freedom without knowledge.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'